Monday 16 March 2009

Thundersport is go!


The first round of the season with Thundersport GB at Mallory Park seemed to come round very quickly after Brands Hatch. After all it was only 4 days. But Jacqui and I arrived on Thursday night to a semi set up awning. Cheers Mick! It would be quite strange going out on the Friday straight into qualifying, but this was only due to how many entries they had received. I was feeling relieved that I did the track day two weeks ago, otherwise I would have been lost. The race was to be run with three different classes in one race of 32 competitors. Minitwins, Moto 450 and Junior Powerbikes. We would get an overall grid position but the results would be for class only.
The bike was scrut’ed by 0700 on Friday morning and I was eager to get out into my first 20 minute qualifying session. I went out and seemed to be on the same pace as the track day very quickly, setting a good solid time. This placed me in 9th position and I felt that I could push up further in the second session. Leigh however was still feeling very battered and bruised and was about 2 seconds off his usual pace but he pushed on regardless.
We were out straight after lunch and wouldn’t you know it, it began to drizzle. Nowhere near enough to warrant putting full wets on, but just enough to put that nagging doubt in the back of my mind. Only because my previous two crashes last year were in similar conditions. However just before we went out it stopped and the track was bone dry.
I went out and settled in nicely but then it started again. My confidence dropped and I became rigid on the bike, and I didn’t improve on my time. I dropped down to 12th on the grid with everone around me improving, which unlike BEMSEE would be my position for the entire weekend. Making qualifying all that more important. Leigh also didn’t improve on his time and was back on row 5. However his brother Alex managed to qualify in second position.

No comments:

Post a Comment