Monday 16 March 2009

Topsey Turvey Brands Hatch. Pt.2

With Leigh’s bike in pieces and refusing to start it looked doubtful he would be out on Sunday and with him feeling worse for wear on Sunday morning he decided to call his weekend to an end and make a break for it back up to Beverley.
I sorted myself out knowing I had three races that day and got the bike ready. With the sun shining we rolled up to the grid once again and I was off to a blinder. I found myself in 6th position after about three laps and thought that this was my chance to keep with the leaders. They began to squeeze a gap on me so I decided to push. I had decided to stick with the tyres thinking I could eek one more race out of them, however on lap 4 I managed to save a high side coming out of clearways onto Clark Curve. I dropped down to 9th by the time the chequered flag dropped but still fairly happy with the result, knowing that my pace was there. And after speaking to Adam Molloy who was right behind me at Clearways I was glad the bike was still in one piece.
With my bike at the front of the 3rd row now, I was brimming with confidence for the 3rd race, when the skies suddenly went very grey. A quick shower sprinkled Brands but I gambled on it passing so I stuck with my dry tyres. But as I rolled up to the collection area the heavens opened. I turned around and trundled back to my garage and knew I’d not only thrown away a chance of good result, as I go well in the wet but because I didn’t race I would also be moved to the back of the grid.
The rain was on and off for the rest of the day and I finally gambled on wet tyres for the final race. I was on the back row in 29th and the warm up lap revealed the track to be about 75% dry. The wrong call again!
However as the lights went out I was on a mission to make up some places and before I knew It I had made up well over ten. The tyres felt good in the damper parts of the circuit but with the race at half distance they began to overheat. Even the damp parts were too dry and I started going backwards down the pack. With the bike not even feeling that it was properly connected to the wheels I was more than happy to see the chequered flag. Eventually bringing the bike back home in 21st place. Ahead of guys on dry tyres!The weekend could have been better but could have been a hell of a lot worse. I hopefully can learn from my mistakes or at least book myself on a meteorologist’s course. And best wishes to all of those involved in the incidents on Saturday. I hope you all have speedy recoveries and I hope to see you all out there again soon. Finally well done Tori Miller and Wayne "Frank" O'Reilly for completing their first rounds in the Minitwins and MZ's. Not only unscathed but both finishing in the points.

No comments:

Post a Comment